During the month of September, North Metro Fire is holding an art contest and invites young artists in Broomfield and Northglenn (Grades K-12) to submit artwork that illustrates this year’s Fire Prevention Week theme, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen.” Artwork may be submitted online, mailed to Sasha Story, c/o North Metro Fire, 101 Spader Way, Broomfield, CO, or dropped off at North Metro Fire Headquarters (same as mailing address). Those dropping off or mailing in their artwork should include the artist's name, age, address and contact information (email/phone) for the artist's parent or guardian.
The following mediums can be used: drawing and painting (pencil, crayon, charcoal, pastels, colored pencils, oil paints, acrylics, water color, mixed media) and photography. Artwork mailed in should not exceed 11" x 17" in size. Each resident can submit up to two art entries for the contest. Entries must be received by 5 p.m. on September 25. Winners of the art contest will receive a pizza dinner delivered by a North Metro Fire crew and have their artwork shared with the community during Fire Prevention Week.
As artists create their pieces, they should consider the following safety tips that go with this year's kitchen safety theme.
- Never leave cooking food unattended. Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling or broiling. If you have to leave, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
- If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you’re cooking.
- You have to be alert when cooking. You won’t be alert if you are sleepy, have taken medicine or drugs, or consumed alcohol that makes you drowsy.
- Always keep an oven mitt and pan lid nearby when you’re cooking. If a small grease fire starts, slide the lid over the pan to smother the flame. Turn off the burner, and leave the pan covered until it is completely cool.
- Have a “kid-free zone” of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
- Don’t leave combustible materials close to a cooking surface while in use.
Permission to Use: By submitting artwork to the Fire Prevention Week Art Contest, you give North Metro Fire permission to use your artwork as part of promotional and educational materials related to Fire Prevention Week and kitchen safety.