- Community Outreach
- Citizens Academy
Have you ever wondered what firefighters do on 911 calls and how your fire district serves you beyond emergencies? Join us this spring to find out. North Metro Fire Rescue District is holding its Citizens Academy May 10 through June 14 and will give residents an insider’s view of the fire district through the training.
Please note: The North Metro Fire Citizens Academy is offered to residents and property owners of North Metro Fire Rescue District (Broomfield, Northglenn and parts of unincorporated Adams, Boulder, Jefferson and Weld Counties).
2023 Citizens Academy
Academy participants will learn the ins and outs of the fire district, from emergency operations to safety education. North Metro Fire’s Citizens Academy will cover a variety of topics, including:
- An overview of North Metro Fire, how its run and how its funded
- Emergency communications, 911 dispatch and community preparedness
- Emergency response and types of calls
- Firefighter training and fire operations
- Special teams: wildland, technical rescue, hazardous materials and airport operations
- Community risk reduction and outreach
- Fire prevention services and fire investigation process
- How the fire district partners with community members to provide a safer environment for all
What to Expect
The seven-week format will include both classroom and hands-on educational activities in each session that are designed to be fun and engaging for participants. Following completion of the academy, graduates will have the opportunity to get involved in the future as volunteers with any of the fire district’s committees, foundations or community outreach events.
The Citizens Academy is FREE for participants and open to fire district residents, business and property owners at least 18 years of age who submit an application and fulfill the minimum program requirements. The academy will be limited to 25 individuals and will be held on six Wednesday evenings and one Saturday, starting May 10. At the end of the seven weeks, participants will be recognized at a special graduation ceremony with our chiefs and board of directors. Family and friends are invited to attend.
All Wednesday evening sessions will commence at 6 p.m. and last until approximately 9 p.m.